Sunday, March 1, 2009

Mt Kinabalu - Day 3 (Part 1)

The plan was "lights out" at 9pm, and wake up at 2am to continue our hike up to catch sunrise at the peak.

Lights out at 9pm?? Mighty difficult, but the veteran advised to take 2 pills of panadol, and you'll be fast in dreamland. His advise has been useful so far, so why not? That night, I slept not more than 30 minutes. No thanks to the constant slamming of the doors at the corridor, and the boisterous voices of inconsiderate guests. I believe that the higher altitude made it difficult too, with some feeling that they were somewhat 'pressed' down on the chest when they lie horizontally on the bed.

Ah well... 2am, hardly felt like I slept, Norm dragged me out of bed. Nice enough to make me feel as comfortable as possible at that God unearthly hour and cooolldd temperature - I very much appreciated a can of milo, albeit it tasted watered down (boo to Nestle) and it being at 'cool' temperature. Forced down muesli bar and a bun down the throat, and we are off, clad with warm warm clothings - beanie, gloves, scarf, jacket. Oh, and not forgetting the torchlight and our camera gears! :p

I have to say, the last few metres up to the peak was a challenge I've never encountered before.

"Sleepy.. I"m so sleepy"

That was the only thing that ran through my mind, and I said it out aloud a few times. Norm could only reply, "Yes, I know". Hahaa..

Having to make stops every few steps, it seemed like eternity to get up to the peak. The air was thin, my breath was laborious. But with the guidance of a gentle, patient and supportive comrade, I finally made it to the peak, barely in time to catch sunrise.




And we spent a good time photographing sunrise.




The photo I shot - see below.


St John's Peak



We have to make the mandatory shot with the 'sign post'.



At Low's Peak - 4095.2m above sea level



Spot the trail of 'ants' at the bottom of the picture - those are people.

Being surrounded by the majestic wonders of nature was truly an overwhelming amazing experience.




No comments:

Post a Comment